Audience: Accounting Manager
Summary: Reviews how to resolve and prevent a sync error caused by the creation of duplicate check numbers in MineralTree and QuickBooks Online.
This article reviews the following:
- How check numbers work in MineralTree and QuickBooks Online
- Why duplicate check numbers occur
- How to fix duplicate check number issues
- How to prevent duplicate check numbers
How check numbers work in MineralTree and QuickBooks Online
MineralTree maintains a check sequence number for each payment account in the system. You can find this under Settings > Company Profile > Manage Accounts, which is initially set during the implementation process. When a check payment is synced to QuickBooks Online, the next number in this sequence is passed back to the accounting system.
QuickBooks Online maintains its own "Next Check Number" for each bank account.
Why duplicate check numbers occur
When "duplicate number warnings" are enabled in QuickBooks Online (Settings > Account and Settings > Advanced > Other Preferences) and MineralTree attempts to sync back a check number that is already used, QuickBooks Online will override the check number from MineralTree with its own "Next Check Number." This will cause a mismatch between the check number in MineralTree and QuickBooks. Within the same sync cycle, MineralTree will identify the problem, and stop syncing any subsequent payments until the issue is resolved. We actively monitor our logs for this error, and will reach out via a support ticket if this problem occurs.
See this example for clarification:
- The next check number in both MineralTree and QuickBooks Online is 100.
- A check is cut in house and recorded in QuickBooks Online. It is assigned # 100.
- The next MineralTree check payment will also be assigned # 100.
- This syncs to QuickBooks Online.
- QuickBooks Online overrides this number and assigns it #101.
- MineralTree will stop syncing payments to prevent further mismatches, but we have a case where the same payment is labeled as check # 100 in MineralTree and #101 in QuickBooks Online.
How to fix duplicate check number issues
Once this issue occurs, the next steps are to reconcile your check numbers and reenable the sync. Temporarily disable duplicate check warning in QBO, by following these steps:
- From Settings dropdown select Account and Settings
- Select Advanced tab (on left)
- Click the Edit (pencil) icon from the Other Preferences section
- Uncheck Warn if duplicate check number is used box
- Make the QuickBooks Online check number reflect the number that was printed on the check. Users can either temporarily disable duplicate number warnings and update the QBO check numbers to match those of MineralTree or add a unique identifier to the check number in QBO (e.g. 1013-1 vs 1013).
- Clear the path for any payments awaiting sync from MineralTree. (e.g. MT check # 200 is awaiting sync but #200 is already used in QBO). Do this by either temporarily disabling duplicate number warnings or updating the necessary check numbers in QBO. MT support can provide a list of any such payments.
How to prevent duplicate check numbers
To prevent duplicate check numbers, we strongly recommend that users set their check sequence in QuickBooks Online to be several orders of magnitude above the check sequence in MineralTree, leaving a large gap between the two. For example, if the highest check number in the system today is 20,000. Set the QuickBooks check sequence to 300,000 and the MT sequence to 21,000. Subsequent payments made in QuickBooks Online will use the 300,000+ sequence, and MineralTree will fill in underneath using the 21,000+ sequence, thus eliminating any chance of further check number collisions.