MineralTree is an accounts payable and payment automation service. It integrates with Great Plains through a "connector" application that is installed as a Windows Service on the GP server (i.e. the same machine on which the GP application is installed). Info pertaining to outstanding vendor bills in GP is brought over to the MineralTree website, and then you're able to log in and pay your bills online.
From a technical perspective, we get info from GP by querying the GP SQL database directly (using credentials you plug in at the time of installation), and we push info back to GP via Payables Batches in GP created by eConnect.
MineralTree currently supports GP versions 2013-2018. More information on supported versions is available here.
Your installation meeting will be setup during implementation. We will guide you through the entire connector installation.
MineralTree uses the Microsoft eConnect service to post payment batches, so eConnect must be installed prior to beginning implementation of MineralTree. Please find the Microsoft eConnect API documentation here.
Your GP admin / IT Resource will be required to be present during the installation. The process is straightforward and most of the steps are carried out by MineralTree support / implementation during the call. Your IT resource will be required only in order to provide access to the server as well as to enter the required credentials (DB and eConnect user credentials).
- What are the system Requirements?
- Needs to be installed on the GP Server.
- The Microsoft eConnect service must also be on the same machine/user.
- The application is downloaded in a Zip folder (9.7 MB). This is downloaded from the Mineraltree application after logging in as an Accounting Manager role. We will require a Mineraltree user with this role to be on the call for this purpose.
- Firewall: The only port that should be open is 443 (HTTPS); this is how data is transferred.
- For Writing Data:
- Mineraltree Connector Service: local or domain admin credentials (eConnect service must be using the same credentials). The credentials are entered in the Services application by right clicking on the service name and selecting the "Login" tab. eConnect then uses Stored Procedures to post the data (committed only after the Batch is accepted by the Great Plains user).
- For Reading Data:
- DB Credentials: SA credentials are required for the company being synced. This is used to push data to Mineraltree. In order to perform reads, the MineralTree GP connector connects directly to SQL Server using the sql credentials in the Connector Service Manager application (included in the install). These credentials are encrypted and stored in the ConnectorService.xml file in the MineralTree Connector Service directory. The MineralTree Connector Service then references this xml file every time it needs to read information from SQL Server.
- Data being transferred via HTTPS include:
- Bills (dates, amounts, item lines, expense lines),
- Vendors (names, addresses),
- Payments (dates, amounts, associated bills)),
- GL Account information (names, account numbers)
- Will we need to add exceptions to our AntiVirus or AntiMalware?
- This isn't typically required, though exceptions may be required depending on your particular Antivirus/AntiMalware software and settings
Accounts of type “Bank” and “Credit Card” sync to MineralTree as potential payment accounts. Because subsidiary relationships are retained within MineralTree, only bank accounts belonging to the relevant subsidiaries sync over. Different addresses can be maintained for the different accounts.
GL Account Balance
For GP customers we sync the "Current Checkbook Balance" available in GP as the General Ledger Cash on the Dashboard. See this article for more detail.
Active vendors will sync to MineralTree and be available for viewing, editing, and invoice creation. Vendors must be originally created in GP, and changes after that point will sync bidirectionally.
Creating invoices in GP:
Invoices (bills) created in GP will sync to MT.
Creating invoices in MineralTree:
Users can enter new invoices with or without an associated document. At the line-level, both expenses and items (only for POs) are supported.
Dropdown selections are populated with values from GP.
Invoices created in MineralTree will sync to GP as “Open” bills.
The standard terms (due dates and discount dates that are functions of the invoice/bill date) that are supported in GP are also supported in MineralTree and will sync from GP to MineralTree and vice versa.
Documents attached to records in GP do not sync to MineralTree. However, MineralTree offers an unlimited amount of document storage, so users may attach an unlimited number of supporting documents to any invoice record in MineralTree.
Supported Invoice Fields
- Vendor Name*
- Invoice #
- Invoice Date*
- Due Date*
- Invoice Amount*
- AP Account
- Account Type
Item Level (PO Items Only):
- Cost Per*
*Required for posting in MineralTree.
Invoices can be routed for approval from the invoice details page or automatically based on vendor.
All payments made in MineralTree will sync to GP with a document/check number, in an unposted batch to be reviewed and posted. The relevant bills will be marked as paid following posting.
- Check payments are recorded with a check number in the document/check number field.
- ACH payments are recorded with “SPACH#” in the document number field.
- “Manual Check” payments are recorded with the check number assigned in the Accounting Manager in the check number field.
- “Manual Card”, and “Biller Portal” payments have “MCrd#” and “BP#” in the check number field respectively.
All payments made in GP sync to MineralTree as “Paid in accounting system.” The check numbers for these payments are not available in MineralTree.
Any credits applied in GP sync to MineralTree as credit payments against invoices.
Purchase orders (PO’s) must be created in GP, but the PO matching process can be handled in MineralTree. Open purchase orders will sync over from GP to MineralTree and be available for matching to invoices. After PO’s are matched to the appropriate invoice, they may be posted to GP.
Please see the Purchase Order Matching article for further details on how the matched invoice and PO sync over to GP.
Deletion and Void Sync Behavior
Deletions or voids of bills or payments must be done in both systems to maintain reconciliation. The action of deleting or voiding will not sync back and forth between MineralTree and GP.
Credits and Discounts
All discounts and credits must be applied in GP. Once applied, the remaining balance of the invoices they are applied to will be correctly updated. Applied discounts do not appear on the remittance, but applied credits do appear on the remittance. Any credits applied in GP sync to MineralTree as credit payments against invoices.
See this article on the procedure for applying credits in GP.